Kineticor Resource Corp. (“Kineticor”) is an independent power producer headquartered in Calgary, Alberta that develops on-site gas to power generation facilities throughout Canada. Kineticor develops facilities that utilize a variety of different applications such as cogeneration, baseload power, and flare gas to power.
Kineticor’s goal is to provide an exceptional work environment with plenty of opportunity for personal and financial growth. The candidate must be a self-starter and adaptive to a quickly changing work environment.
The Project Director will lead and provide key input to the planning, coordinating and management and execution of a major infrastructure combined cycle project. Working with the Project Operations team and outside stakeholders, this individual would be focused on the assigned project and will promote its successful execution with a priority for safety, cost effectiveness, constructability, budget and schedule. In addition to direct interface with engineering, equipment and regulatory providers, the Project Director is expected to take a senior role with various outside government agencies such as the Alberta Electric System Operator and the Alberta Utilities Commission. Upon completion, the Project Director would be expected to cooperate with the project operations group to establish operating and maintenance programs that are consistent with the contractual relationship under which the project is governed.
The Project Director is expected develop and maintain a cohesive and well organized project execution team and enlist Kineticor personnel that may or may not have a direct reporting responsibility. Fostering a team environment, mentoring and working with a diverse group of highly motivated professionals is a key component to the position.
The Project Director will be familiar with simple cycle or combined cycle power plant configurations and preferably had direct experience leading the execution of large combined cycle projects. The Project Director will be familiar with the various tools and programs that are used to provide cost control, oversight, and reporting to senior management.
The Project Director role requires that the individual understands the regulatory, process and co-mingled responsibilities surrounding the Alberta Utilities Commission, Alberta Environment & Parks, The Alberta Energy Regulator and the Alberta Electric System Operator.
The Project Director reports directly to the Vice President, Operations and is a member of the Operations team. This individual will work closely with peers and other functional leaders within Kineticor.
- Provide total project management effort including project schedule development; participation in construction planning and design; resolution of design conflicts; constructability reviews, etc.
- Develop and oversee the project’s management structure and fit-for-purpose work processes as per Kineticor’s overall business and project execution strategy.
- Lead the project execution team on the project’s development and construction
- Ensure activities comply with company and contract requirements and support overall project budget and schedule.
- Interface with all engineering disciplines, suppliers, consultants, etc., as required in the establishment of project schedules and resolving schedule problems.
- Develop, implement and administer project engineering procedures and other work control and reporting documents.
- Comply with and follow project engineering procedures and other work control and reporting documents.
- Represent company or project team during bid process, project scope development, client meetings and project management meetings.
- Interface with internal and external personnel necessary to review constructability of design with the goal of meeting quality, cost and schedule commitments.
Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor degree in an Engineering Discipline, preferably Mechanical with a P.Eng designation and 10-15 years of relevant industry experience.
- Experience in large-scale power projects (400 MW plus), in either simple cycle or combined cycle configurations.
- Experience as a lead engineer or group leader on complex, multi-discipline engineering or EPC power projects
- Direct experience with plant operations in both simple cycle and cogeneration configurations.
- Must be familiar with applicable codes, standards, safety, and acceptable industry practices, etc.
- Familiar with maintenance management programs.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills and be capable of interacting with peers, project managers, site managers and clients.
- Must have a proven track record of accomplishment project and operations of industrial/power projects and be capable of working and/or leading in a team of engineers, designers and support personnel
- Possess working knowledge of scheduling techniques utilizing Microsoft Project, Primavera P3 and/or Expedition project management software